- 2 cups flour, sifted
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup nuts, any kind, chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb sliced strawberries, (if frozen, thaw and drain first, and reduce sugar to ⅔ cup)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Stir together the first 4 ingredients and spread evenly in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When browned, sprinkle about ⅔ of the crumbs in the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, berries and lemon juice and beat at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form – about 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until almost stiff, then fold gently into the berry mixture. Pour this over the crumbs in the baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining crumble mixture and freeze 6 hours or overnight. Cut into squares and garnish with whole strawberries.
- Serve almost frozen.
About the Author
Ben Rayl authors the blog Comfortable Food, which he began in 2012. He moved to Europe in 2008 after a long career in the restaurant industry, and currently lives in Copenhagen, Denmark. For new recipe updates, be sure to follow Comfortable Food on Facebook.