This side salad does double duty as a light meal and can be served warm or cold. Enjoy it right away or make ahead and refrigerate to give the flavors extra time to come together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) seasoned black beans, well drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves, or to taste
- Juice of 1 lime, or more to taste
- 2 avocados, diced
Add oil to heated pan and sauté onion for 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin and stir for another 30 seconds. Add rice, stock and garlic salt and bring to boil. Reduce to lowest heat, cover and cook for about 18 minutes, or until rice is just cooked. Fluff rice with fork and allow to cool slightly, or completely if you are serving the salad chilled.
In large bowl, combine drained beans with remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Add cooled rice, cilantro and lime juice and toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning and lime to taste. Top with avocado just before serving and toss gently.
Variation: Substitute 1 can of corn for avocado if desired.
Tip: Time-saver: Seasoned black beans include salt and basic seasonings that infuse the beans with flavor that would otherwise take time to develop.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooking.com. All rights reserved.